Anyone who knows me well knows that I can get completely obsessed with anything—and nothing in particular. This could be work (thank goodness not anymore), badminton, riding my bike, walking, gardening, making cards, emailing, photography, painting our house different colors, socializing, jewelry making, playing computer/video games, other people's problems, a future goal, a past mistake, solving the world's problems… or writing on my blog. Aaron says he wishes I would become obsessed with cleaning the house. That’s why I’ve been offline.
Since Aaron has been home the last two weeks, I decided to put my obsessions on hold and just relax. Last week, he could feel the tension of me trying to relax and be a “nice wife”—and it stressed him out.
So this week, I made two hundred cards, fifty necklaces, and planted new flowers in the front garden. Now I’m back on the blog. I’ve realized that I need to switch obsessions around. For example, I can be obsessed with making cards, and just when I’m reaching the apex, I switch to making necklaces, sending mail, etc. It’s a way of giving my mind the freedom it craves without letting any single obsession take over—small acts of self-regulation that quietly restore balance.