Sunday, June 29, 2025

Shade plants


For a full shade location in Zone 6a, I can consider plants like hostas, ferns, astilbe, bleeding hearts, and foam flowers. I know these plants thrive in shaded conditions and offer a variety of colors and textures to brighten up my garden.

Here’s a more detailed look at some suitable options:

Perennials:

  • Hostas:
    I find these incredibly popular for shade gardens due to their diverse foliage colors and patterns. Some varieties even offer fragrant flowers.

  • Astilbe:
    I love astilbe for its feathery flower plumes that come in various colors like pink, white, and red. It thrives in shade and adds a vertical element to the landscape.

  • Bleeding Heart (Dicentra):
    The heart-shaped flowers of bleeding hearts are a classic addition to shade gardens, and they come in pink, red, and white.

  • Foamflower (Tiarella cordifolia):
    I appreciate foamflowers for their low-growing habit, attractive foliage, and delicate, foamy white flower clusters. They thrive in shade and even tolerate acidic conditions.

  • Lungwort (Pulmonaria):
    Lungwort has striking, variegated evergreen foliage and clusters of pink, white, or blue flowers in the spring, adding color to shady areas.

  • Columbine (Aquilegia):
    I find columbine to be a deer-resistant, easy-to-care-for wildflower that comes in various colors and shapes. It thrives in part shade.

  • Corydalis:
    This plant offers attractive foliage and stunning yellow or blue flower clusters, blooming from late spring to frost.

  • Heuchera (Coral Bells):
    I know heucheras for their colorful foliage, ranging from chartreuse to deep burgundy, and they tolerate shade well.

Other Options:

  • Ferns:
    I consider ferns a classic choice for shade gardens, offering a variety of textures and sizes.

  • Coleus:
    I enjoy coleus for its wide array of colors and patterns, adding a vibrant touch to shady spots.

  • Ajuga (Bugleweed):
    This ground cover has attractive purple, variegated foliage and produces spikes of blue, pink, or white flowers.

  • Impatiens:
    I love impatiens for their vibrant flowers in a range of colors and their ability to thrive in shade.