Tuesday, July 22, 2025

SUNFLOWERS Glass cups and jars to protect the sunflowers next year.

 I am pleased with the garden progress. I have a few more day lilies to move backwards, and I have the flowers around the fir tree to move to where the day lilies are. That will be part of today's project. Other than that, I have nothing else planned.




I wish I could grow sunflowers. That goal is for next year!

Methods for Protecting Sunflower Plants

  1. Use Physical Barriers

    • Cover plants with bird netting or mesh.
    • Build cages around individual plants or rows using wire mesh.
    • Place plastic cups over newly planted seeds to protect them from animals.
  2. Apply Deterrents

    • Spray cayenne pepper on seeds or soil to repel animals.
    • Hang shiny objects like aluminum foil or CDs near sunflowers to scare birds.
    • Use plastic owls or other predator decoys to deter birds and squirrels.
  3. Start Seeds Indoors

    • Begin seeds in biodegradable pots for easy transplanting.
    • Gradually expose seedlings to outdoor conditions (hardening off).
    • Plant seeds at different times to ensure some sunflowers are ready for harvest.
I think I am going to use my glass cups and jars to protect the sunflowers next year.