Sunday, August 17, 2025

Lilac Bushes to Lilac Trees


The rain has been a gift for the flowers I’ve been planting. It has made me realize the importance of waiting for the right weather before planting. New plants need steady water to get established. Unfortunately, the snow-on-the-mountain I put in at Dr. Cho’s a couple of weeks ago didn’t survive, but I plan to add it there since it spreads quickly and effectively crowds out weeds.


Pruning Lilacs: A Step-by-Step Guide

1. Initial Selection and Pruning:

  • Choose a Central Stem:

    • Select the most upright and strongest stem to become the trunk of your lilac tree.
  • Remove Lower Branches:

    • Carefully prune away the bottom third of the shrub, exposing the chosen stem as a trunk. This may involve using loppers or a saw for larger branches.
  • Stake the Trunk:

    • Secure the chosen stem to a sturdy stake to provide support and encourage vertical growth.

2. Ongoing Pruning and Maintenance:

  • Continue Removing Lower Branches:

    • Each spring, prune away lower branches that emerge along the trunk to maintain its clear form.
  • Thin the Canopy:

    • Once the desired height is reached, begin shaping the canopy. Remove interior branches that grow toward the center of the plant, promoting outward growth.
  • Thin Out Older Wood:

    • Remove older, less productive branches to encourage new growth and flowering from younger stems.
  • Remove Rubbing Trunks:

    • If you notice trunks rubbing against each other, prune one of them to prevent damage.

3. General Tips:

  • Prune in the Dormant Season:

    • For significant pruning, it's best to do it during the dormant season (late winter or early spring) before new growth begins.
  • Step Back and Assess:

    • Periodically step back and evaluate the overall shape of the tree as you prune. This helps visualize the final form and make informed decisions.
  • Don’t Be Afraid to Prune:

    • Lilacs are resilient and will recover from pruning. Removing some branches initially may make the tree look thinner, but it will encourage healthy, vigorous growth in the long run.

Reflection:
This project feels like a mix of gardening and sculpting. The lilacs have been there for years, and now I have the chance to guide them into something new and beautiful. It may feel daunting to cut back so much, but lilacs are tougher than they look. Even if they seem thin at first, they’ll fill out with healthier growth. I’ll remember to step back often while pruning to ensure I can see the shape I’m creating.