Friday, July 04, 2008

Freedom from British Tyranny

Day 1: Aaron's stress reducing retail therapy before he and Joel say goodbye to me and my giant new addidas backpack they bought me just for the trip. Aren't they sweet!


Finally, Aaron and Joel were free from British Tyranny and I was reunited with Helen

Our four and a half year separation ended as we rushed into each others open arms at Dallas airport as A-Ha played overhead*. As soon as we get on our plane to San Antonio we proceed to embarrass ourselves by taking the best picture.





LOOK WHAT HELEN dragged into the night!

The fanciest hotel I had ever been to! Our room did not even look like a hotel room! It looked like a page out of a pottery barn or better





The first thing we did when we arrived, after waiting for the torrential downpour to stop, was to act like tourists. We hit the riverwalk and took goofy pictures of each other in shops.




Our first night in San Antonio I was exhausted from having stayed up half the previous night with a sick Joel. Helen, who is a lawyer by the way, and a bottle of wine persuaded me to venture out into the night. We hit an art festival (it did not hit back) and made some new friends.





We took a bicycle taxi back and got to see the city at night up close. I would like to always travel that way!





* That is a dramatization, but we did actually here "Take on Me" by A-Ha in San Antonio. When we were twelve years old Helen and I spent a whole art class arguing about which one of us was A-Ha's biggest fan. Helen has now one, having flown to England for a concert, spending 20 hours in the country for just that purpose.