This is a Penstemon digitalis, also known as foxglove beardtongue, and I really need to find it a better spot in my garden. It's getting overshadowed by my other flowers right now. I’m thinking I’ll make the move when it’s going to rain. Since it will finish blooming soon, that’ll be a great time to shift things around. I’m planning to put it where the purple salvia are and put Black-eyed Susans where the Penstemon digitalis are. I want the Susans and the daylilies to be in the background since I have so many of both, and they tend to grow tall.
This Penstemon is a perennial that produces these tall spikes of tubular flowers in white to pale lavender. It blooms in late spring to early summer and attracts bees and hummingbirds, which I love for my garden.
I know that this plant thrives in full sun to partial shade, needing about six hours of sunlight each day. It prefers well-draining soil rich in organic matter, like sandy or loamy types. I make sure to water it regularly, but I let the soil dry out a bit between waterings. I also deadhead the spent flowers and trim it back in late fall. Using mulch helps keep moisture in and weeds out.
When it comes to companion plants for my Penstemon digitalis, I think about adding some Russian sage, which has a similar height and loves full sun, too. Lavender would be a great choice as well, not just for its beauty but also because it attracts pollinators. With these companions, I can improve my vibrant and diverse garden space!
