Monday, March 23, 2026

Planting Layout for rocky drainage area

 

 Absolutely—here it is rewritten in your voice, clean and blog-ready, like a snapshot you could actually use while standing outside with your coffee and your shovel 🌿


🌿 My Garden Plan — Simplified View

🌱 1. How I’m Thinking About the Layers

LayerPurposePlantsFeeling I’m Creating
Back RowHeight + structureBleeding Heart, Astilbe, Anemone, BrunneraMovement, softness, anchor
Mid LayerMain visual bodyHosta, HeucheraFullness, color, texture
Front EdgeSoftening + spillCreeping Jenny, AjugaFlow, softness, cohesion
DetailsPersonality + surpriseToad Lily, FoamflowerCuriosity, “lean in” moments

🧩 2. How I’m Mapping It to My Space

AreaWhat I’m PlantingWhat I Want It to Feel Like
LeftBleeding Heart, Astilbe, Hosta, HeucheraDense and established
CenterAstilbe, Hostas, Creeping Jenny, WoodruffBlended and natural
RightAnemone, Brunnera, HeucheraFilled and balanced
FrontAjuga, Creeping Jenny, FoamflowerSoft edge and finished look

🌷 3. My Planting Timeline

MonthFocusWhat I’m Doing
MarchPrepCleaning, edging, loosening soil, adding compost
AprilStructurePlanting Hostas, Heuchera, Brunnera, Bleeding Heart
MayFullnessAdding Astilbe, Anemone, Foamflower

🛒 4. How I’m Buying Everything (Phases)

PhaseWhat I’m BuyingWhy It Matters
Phase 1Bleeding Heart, Astilbe, Heuchera, BrunneraThis builds the bones
Phase 2Ajuga, Creeping Jenny, WoodruffThis fills the gaps
Phase 3Extra plants and fun varietiesThis adds personality

📦 5. My Plant Count

CategoryCount
Back Row8
Mid Layer6
Ground Layer12
Detail Plants4
Total30 plants

🌿 6. My Reality Check

What I ExpectWhat It Means for Me
Year 1A little spaced, intentional
Year 2Full and lush
My goalLet it grow into itself


🌿 My Visual Planting Layout

(mapping it before I touch the soil)

I’m mapping my space in words first so I can really see it before I plant anything.



✨ My Layout Plan (top → bottom)

🌳 BACK ROW (against the fence)

This is my height and anchor layer.

I’m planting in loose clusters, not straight lines.

Left side:

  • 2 Astilbe (pink or white)

Center (behind the rocks):

  • 1 Bleeding Heart
    (this becomes my emotional centerpiece)

Right side:

  • 2 Japanese Anemone

💡 I want soft plumes and movement here, not anything stiff or formal.


🌿 MID LAYER (around and just behind the rocks)

This is my main visual body.

I’m planting in groups of three.

Left-mid:

  • 3 Heuchera (mix of burgundy and lime)

Center (weaving into the rocks):

  • 3 Hostas
    (slightly different sizes if possible)

Right-mid (filling that open space):

  • 3 Brunnera

💡 I want these plants to touch the rocks. No gaps. They should feel like they belong there.


🌱 FRONT EDGE (closest to me)

This is my softening layer.

Along the entire front border, I’m planting:

  • Creeping Jenny (to trail over the edge)

  • Ajuga (for those purple spikes and contrast)

I’m going to alternate them in little drifts instead of straight lines.


🌸 SPECIAL DETAIL MOMENTS (my “Emma touches”)

This is where I get to add personality.

I’ll tuck in:

  • 1–2 Toad Lilies (something unexpected, near the rocks)

  • A few Foamflower clusters in the shadier pockets

These are my “lean in closer” plants. The ones you notice when you slow down.


🧩 The Overall Feeling I’m Creating

I’m not going for spaced-out individual plants.

I want a woven, layered tapestry.

I want everything to feel like it is gently growing toward each other.


🌷 My Month-by-Month Planting Plan

(Indianapolis timing)

This helps me keep it manageable and seasonal.


🌱 MARCH (now → early April)

Goal: Clean and prepare

  • Clear debris

  • Define the rock edges

  • Lightly loosen the soil (not overworking it)

  • Add compost or garden soil where I’ll be planting

  • Divide or move any existing perennials if needed

👉 Right now I am setting the stage, not rushing into planting.


🌷 APRIL

Goal: Start planting the structure

I will plant:

  • Hostas

  • Heuchera

  • Brunnera

  • Bleeding Heart

💡 These can handle cooler temperatures and will start establishing early.


🌸 MAY (after last frost, around mid-May)

Goal: Add fullness and personality

I will plant:

  • Astilbe

  • Japanese Anemone

  • Foamflower


This is starting to feel less like a project and more like a composition I am stepping into.

This is where I build the backbone of the garden.

  • Bleeding Heart (‘Valentine’) → 1
  • Astilbe (‘Bridal Veil’ white) → 1
  • Astilbe (‘Fanal’ red) → 1
  • Astilbe (‘Peach Blossom’ pink) → 1
  • Japanese Anemone (‘Honorine Jobert’) → 2
  • Brunnera (‘Jack Frost’) → 2

Subtotal: 8 plants

These give me height, movement, and seasonal variation.


🌿 MID LAYER (my main body)

This is the structure that holds everything together visually.

  • Hosta (‘June’) → 2
  • Hosta (‘Halcyon’) → 1

(3 hostas total = my anchors)

  • Heuchera (‘Caramel’) → 1
  • Heuchera (‘Obsidian’) → 2

(3 heuchera total = color + texture)


🌱 FRONT + GROUND LAYER (what makes it feel finished)

This is where the garden starts to feel full and intentional.

  • Ajuga (‘Chocolate Chip’ or ‘Burgundy Glow’) → 6
  • Creeping Jenny (‘Aurea’) → 3
  • Sweet Woodruff → 3

These will spread over time, so this is enough to start.


🌸 DETAIL / SURPRISE PLANTS

These are the little moments that make the garden interesting.

  • Toad Lily (Tricyrtis) → 2
  • Foamflower (Tiarella) → 2

📦 TOTAL COUNT

  • Back row: 8
  • Mid layer: 6
  • Ground layer: 12
  • Detail plants: 4

Total: 30 plants


🌿 How I’m Mapping This to My Space

LEFT SIDE (denser area)

  • 1 Bleeding Heart
  • 1 Astilbe (white)
  • 1 Heuchera (Caramel)
  • 1 Hosta
  • 2 Ajuga
  • 1 Creeping Jenny

CENTER (around the rock stream)

  • 2 Astilbe (red + pink)
  • 2 Hostas
  • 1 Heuchera (dark)
  • 2 Creeping Jenny woven through the rocks
  • 2 Sweet Woodruff
  • 1 Toad Lily

RIGHT SIDE (currently open → filling it in)

  • 2 Japanese Anemone
  • 2 Brunnera
  • 1 Heuchera (dark)
  • 2 Ajuga
  • 1 Sweet Woodruff
  • 1 Foamflower
  • 1 Toad Lily

FRONT EDGE (the finishing touch)

  • 2 Ajuga
  • 1 Creeping Jenny
  • 1 Foamflower

I want these to spill gently toward me and soften the edge.


This is a perfect first-year density, not an instant full garden.

If I wanted it to look full immediately, I would double this list, but that would be:

  • more expensive
  • less natural long-term

What I am choosing instead is to let it grow into itself.


🌿 If I Need to Simplify (backup plan)

If 30 plants feels like too much, I can scale back and still keep the structure:

  • 1 Bleeding Heart
  • 3 Hostas
  • 3 Heuchera
  • 3 Astilbe
  • 6 Ajuga

That becomes my minimum viable garden (16 plants).

Garden Shopping Cart (Phase 1: Structure)


🌸 Core Plants (buy these first)


How many to buy:

  • Bleeding Heart → 1 (your focal point)

  • Astilbe → 2–3 (back row, soft height)

  • Heuchera (Coral Bells) → 3 (front/mid color)

  • Brunnera → 2–3 (right side filler)


💡 These are your bones. Everything else builds around them.


🌿 🌱 Ground Layer (Phase 2: the magic)


How many:

  • Ajuga → 4–6 small plants

  • Creeping Jenny → 2–3

  • Sweet Woodruff → 2–3


💡 These are what make your garden feel full instead of spaced out.


🌿 🌼 Optional Add-Ons (Phase 3: personality)


These are your:

  • "ooh I like that color" plants

  • texture variation

  • future expansion pieces


🧠 How to Order (this matters more than what you buy)


🟢 Order 1 (now)

  • Bleeding Heart

  • Astilbe

  • Heuchera

  • Brunnera


👉 Plant these first → step back → observe


🟡 Order 2 (2–3 weeks later)

  • Ajuga

  • Creeping Jenny

  • Sweet Woodruff


👉 Fill the gaps after you see the structure


🔵 Order 3 (optional, later)

  • Extra heuchera / astilbe

  • fun varieties